COUNSELOR OF THE COUNTY AWARD
The Monmouth County Counselor of the County award was established in 1987 by the New Jersey School Counselor Association. The guidelines and nomination form for next years potential recipient are listed below.
The 2017 Counselor of the County award winner
Courtney Colford, counselor at Barkalow Middle School, Freehold Township
To view Courtney’s presentation biography, please click here.
The past MCSCA Counselor of the County recipients:
1988 Robert Dudley
1989 William McDermott
1990 Theodora Apostolacus
1991 Lillie Ham Henry
1992 Mary Walton
1993 Jim Lukach
1994 Rita Barrett
1995 Arlene Schacht
1996 John Brady
1997 Maggie Slayter
1998 Demie Accorsi
1999 Fran Swift
2000 Chuck Eby
2001 Heather Kostka
2002 Tony Howard
2003 Tom Cusick
2004 Pat Phillips
2005 Gayle Fitzmaier
2006 Maritza Rodriguez
2007 Rose Griffin
2008 Richard Freccia
2009 Bruce Marich
2010 Joseph Clores
2011 Pamela Main
2012 Jackie Cashman
2013 David Frick
2014 Mindy Fellingham
2015 Jill Maline
2016 Heather Frederick
2017 Courtney Colford
Monmouth County School Counselor Association
Counselor of the County Guidelines
1. The Counselor of the County shall be selected by a committee of past recipients of the award, chaired by the immediate past recipient.
2. The recipient shall:
a. Be a member of the New Jersey School Counselor Association (NJSCA)and the Monmouth County School Counselor Association (MCSCA)
b. Be a professional employed by or retired from a Monmouth County educational institution which provides counseling service(s) to students
c. Have exhibited sustained service in the field of counseling by
i. service to the Association including such areas as Executive Board, committee chair, officer, presenter, or
ii. service to state, national or allied counseling associations.
3. A candidate must be nominated, with supporting evidence, by any member of the Monmouth County School Counselor Association by the first Friday of January or by such date as to comply with NJSCA requirements. The nomination may be mailed/emailed to the chairperson.
4. The successful recipient will be recognized at the NJSCA Reception held in the spring of that year. Following this statewide reception, the MCSCA will recognize the recipient during the June meeting of the MCSCA.
Approved: Dec 15, 2010
Revised Nov 2013
Monmouth County School Counselor Association
Counselor of the County Nomination Form
Please complete the form below if you are interested in nominating a counselor to be considered for the Counselor of the County.
The deadline for submitting your nominee is January 15, 2018
Counselor nominee: ____________________________________________________________
Counselor nominee’s email address: _______________________________________________
Current position/school: _________________________________________________________
School Attended Years Attended Degree Earned
1. List the nominee’s position(s) and past position(s) in counseling, as well as their number of years of service:
Position Educational Institution Years of Service
2. Please provide a list of organizations that the nominee is currently a member of and examples of their service to those organizations, ex. What services/programs have this counselor initiated for counselors, school colleagues or members of the community?
3. List the leadership positions the applicant has held within the above organizations (i.e. Executive Board Member, Committee Chair, Good Ideas Conference Planning Committee or Presenter, etc).
4. Has the nominee contributed any service in a counseling capacity at the State, National, or
other Counseling Organizations? If so please list:
5. Has the nominee received any other awards and/or recognitions? Example: In what ways does the nominees go above and beyond their counseling job?
6: Please share any additional information about the nominee that you feel would make them worthwhile to be called our Counselor of the County:
*A candidate must be nominated, with supporting evidence, by any member of the Monmouth County School Counselor Association by the first Friday of January or by such date as to comply with NJSCA requirements. The nomination may be mailed/emailed to the chairperson.*
*The successful recipient will be recognized at the NJSCA Reception held in the spring of that year. Following this statewide reception, the MCSCA will recognize the recipient during the June meeting of the MCSCA.*
Name of person submitting nomination:__________________________________________
Current position/school of nominator:____________________________________________
Please forward all nominations to Courtney Colford at <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Revised November 2013
This form may be downloaded as a word document from here.